Health and Wellbeing
Wellbeing is a measure of a person's happiness, psychological, emotional and mental state. Therefore it is strongly linked to how satisfied a person feels about both themselves and their life.
Employers are beginning to see the value in having an understanding of their employees' sense of wellbeing. There are significant advantages for organisations that are able to understand and enhance the wellbeing of their employees.
Many organisations have adopted employee wellbeing into their HR strategies and have gone so far as to implement ongoing wellbeing initiatives. Some of the most common initiatives include:
- Employee Assistance Program
- Yoga/Meditation classes
- Stand up meetings
- Walking / running groups
- Healthy eating (i.e. fruit bowl)
- Flexible Working arrangements
- Staff social functions
Some of the benefits an organisation can expect to receive should they choose to adopt employee wellbeing initiatives include:
- Improved productivity and quality of work being produced improved overall morale and culture of the organisation
- Increase in retention rates
- The ability to be able to attract quality candidates who can see the company values employees health and wellbeing, shows they care about the individual and fulfills social corporate responsibilities
- Avoiding high costs associated with absenteeism, presenteeism, injury & illness.
Stress in the Workplace
Stress, as defined by the world health organisation is "the reaction people may have when presented with the demands and pressures that are not matched to their knowledge and abilities and which challenge their ability to cope".
Absenteeism refers to circumstances in which an employee is absent from work on personal/carer's leave on a frequent basis.
More information on Absenteeism
Flexibility in the Workplace
In Australia, the right to request flexible working arrangements are provided for in legislation under in the National Employment Standards (NES). These standards provide that certain categories of employees are able to make requests of their employer to work in a flexible manner.
More information on Flexibility in the Workplace
The State of Wellbeing in Australian Workplaces 2018 report
Superfriend's Building Thriving Workplaces: Guidelines and Actions
Superfriend's 2018 Indicators of a Thriving Workplace
Anytime, Anywhere work - Report & White papers
Women, Work and the menopause
Mental Health First Aid